email@example.com Direct Line:617.778.9128
Mike is NBP’s managing partner and is a seasoned trial lawyer who represents businesses and individuals in complex litigation throughout the country. Mike routinely litigates complex commercial disputes, real estate issues, alternative investment recovery efforts, shareholder derivative actions, employment cases, investment banking and hedge fund disputes, complex tort matters, and white collar criminal investigations. Mike’s litigation experience includes many cases involving unique legal issues, complex statutes, and claims of first impression. Mike has argued before the United States Court of Appeals, the Delaware Supreme Court, and various appellate courts. In addition to his trial work, Mike regularly counsels senior management on litigation avoidance, compliance and internal investigations, business strategies and employment issues.
- Lead counsel to the largest group of victims in one of the nation’s largest Ponzi schemes, recovering nearly $50 million for clients.
- Litigated an eight figure insurance coverage dispute against one of the nation’s largest insurance carriers.
- Lead counsel for a New England based defense contractor in a multi-year Department of Justice investigation relating to violations of the Arms Export Control Act; resulting in no criminal charges against the Company.
- Won a “bet the company” commercial dispute for a financial services company after a five-day arbitration.
- Successfully represented boutique investment banks in several litigations concerning breach of investment banking agreements and recovering millions of dollars for clients.
- Co-lead counsel in a shareholder derivative suit alleging breach of fiduciary duty against fund manager, resulting in a stipulated judgment in excess of $20 million.
- Successfully defended a Massachusetts state agency against claims for violating the U.S. base closure laws.
- Persuaded the Delaware Supreme Court to reinstate a $500,000,000 claim that had been dismissed prior to NBP’s retention.
- Won seven-figure settlements on behalf of a major vendor in the retail industry in connection with breach of supply agreements by two national retailers.
- Successfully defended major cell-tower company in a widely publicized real estate dispute.
- Lead trial counsel for enterprise software company in theft of trade secret case resulting in permanent injunction against former employee from working for competition or using proprietary information.
- Trial counsel for the world’s former number three ranked tennis player, in a jury trial of first impression that garnered international media attention involving allegations that a contaminated multivitamin caused a positive steroid test.
- Successfully defended the MBTA, the commuter rail, and Amtrak in numerous catastrophic accident cases.
Mike’s white collar defense experience also includes defending companies in connection with two of New England’s largest health care investigations, the nation’s first investigation of “asset search companies,” and advising companies on issues relating to the Transportation Security Administration, Homeland Security and the Trading with the Enemy Act. Mike has represented numerous banks in connection with grand jury subpoena issues, successfully defended the CEO of a federal credit union in a bank bribery case, a manufacturer in a criminal antitrust action, and has represented numerous individuals and corporations in grand jury investigations involving Medicare fraud, academia research improprieties, the Big Dig, tax evasion and fraud matters. In addition, Mike has significant health care fraud litigation experience, defending qui tam and False Claims Act cases.
Lead trial counsel in an action brought against the American Automobile Association in a case of first impression regarding the duty of AAA to provide emergency road services and AAA’s advertising practices. Mike also has represented the family of the victim of one of Boston’s most notorious murders, in a case against the owner of the gun from whom the assailant took the murder weapon.
Mike has been recognized as a “Super Lawyer” for business litigation, is listed in Outstanding Lawyers of America, and has been “AV” rated by Martindale Hubbell for the past decade. In 2003, Mike received the prestigious Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court’s “Adams Pro Bono Publico Award,” recognizing his pro bono contributions over the course of his career.
Mike is a 1990 graduate of Northeastern University School of Law and received his B.S., magna cum laude, from American University. Prior to founding Nystrom Beckman & Paris LLP, Mike was a partner at the international law firm of Brown Rudnick LLP, where he practiced civil and criminal litigation.